Graham P. HensbyCommercial Director
Areas of Expertise
- Forensic analysis of project records and cost data for claims purposes, including detailed cost/ quantum reports.
- Analysis of project schedules and critical path, establishment of delays and preparation of reports, utilising graphics to illustrate delays.
- Assisting in the establishment and implementation of strategies for commercial settlements, including negotiation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR).
- Administration of construction contracts including payment, valuation of design change, insurance claims and the quantification of delay and disruption costs.
- Evaluation of risk and opportunities associated with major construction projects.
- Implementation of project cost controls, cash management strategies and forecasting.
- Over 30 years of experience in the measurement, valuation and pricing of construction projects.
Commercial & Claims Management
Commercial Director – P. Kolon Construction Consulting (2018 – 2019)
- Assisted in the preparation of claims documentation for key clients including; Stuart Olson Construction and Ozz Electric Limited.
- Analysed project schedules and critical path during established periods of delay. Prepared reports and graphics to illustrate delays.
- Analysed project costs during periods of delay and disruption and prepared detailed delay quantum for inclusion in claims.
Commercial & Claims Management
Commercial Manager (Claims) – Carillion Canada Inc. – TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) Vaughan Corporate Center Subway Station (2013 – 2018)
- Commercial lead for the $300m terminal station on the Yonge-University-Spadina Extension.
- Supported external consultants and legal advisors in the forensic analysis of project records and the preparation of claims resulting from a 3-year delay to project schedule.
- Analysed additional project costs exceeding $100m and prepared consolidated delay quantum for re-imbursement.
- Managed the valuation and agreement of over 500 project changes exceeding $20m.
- Co-ordinated dispute resolution hearings and preparation for litigation.
Commercial Claims Co-ordinator – Carillion Canada Inc. – Ministry of Transportation of Ontario – Highway Construction (2010 – 2013)
- Responsible for the commercial close-out of several troubled road and bridge construction projects. The projects were complete, but all were behind schedule and over budget.
- Negotiated the payment of outstanding changes in work.
- Supported external consultant in the development of claims for delay/ payment of additional costs.
- Forensic analysis of project documentation, preparation for mediation and liaison with experts/ legal team.
Project Quantity Surveying
Project Quantity Surveyor – Carillion (Caribbean) Limited (2001 – 2010)
- Managed the commercial functions on a broad spectrum of construction projects, including onshore oil and gas facilities, stadia, docks/piers, hotels and the prestigious Trinidad & Tobago National Library. Project values ranged from US$50m to US$150m. Specific projects included:
- Carlton Savannah Hotel, Port of Spain
- British Gas Onshore ALNG Facility
- St. Lucia Cricket Stadium, Castries
- Dominica Financial Complex, Roseau
- NEC Savonetta Pier 2 & LABIDCO Dock Extension, La Brea
- BHP Billiton, On-shore Facility, Guayaguayare
- National Library Building, Port of Spain
Senior Quantity Surveyor – Trinidad & Tobago Water Services – South Water Project, Trinidad (1998 – 2001)
- A US$100m management contract utilising local contractors to deliver updated water treatment facilities and piped water to the South of Trinidad. Existing treatment facilities were remnants of pre-independence (1960’s) systems and the existing pipe network leaked close to 70% of treated water.
- Lead the commercial function for the San Fernando Office (Southern Section US$40m) from pre-Tender to project close out including pre-qualification of contractors, tendering, contract award and project execution.
Quantity Surveyor – Wimpey Construction UK Limited/ Tarmac Construction (1994 – 1998)
- Leeds Shopping Plaza, Bond Street; £16m management contract for the expansion and refurbishment of the existing Bond St. Shopping Complex.
- Kings Pool Office Development, York; £30m design & build office complex alongside the River Ouse in York
- Leeds Regional Office, Design and Build Department; Managing a team of Quantity Surveyors preparing bills of quantities to facilitate tendering of design and build projects. Successful Tenders included; Warrington WWTW (£25m), Widnes WWTW (£8m) and Leeds Grammar School (£10m).
Asst. Quantity Surveyor – Wimpey Wessex Water – Ashford & Durleigh Water Treatment Works, Somerset, UK (1991 – 1994)
- Provided commercial support to the project team, including the valuation of design alternatives for two Design & Build water treatment projects, in partnership with Wessex Water.
- Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- PQS of Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS)
- BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying – Leeds Polytechnic (Leeds Metropolitan University), 1991
- BTEC OND Building Studies – Barnsley College of Technology, 1987