Philip KolonFounder & CEO
Areas of Expertise
- Directing and project managing infrastructure/transit/building/projects.
- Strategic analysis and resolution of complex technical issues such as specific design, construction hydrogeological or geotechnical project elements.
- Establishing and directing strategy for commercial negotiations, mediations, adjudication, arbitration, litigation and settlement.
- Specializing in the connexion of contractual, legal and technical issues and managing legal and technical experts.
- Outstanding experience in the management and delivery of difficult projects.
- Supply Chain management and inimitable relationship administration for a variety of stakeholders.
- Analysis, forecasting and management of project schedule, risk and completion costs.
Multi-disciplinary turnaround expertise for complex infrastructure, transit and building projects, ranging from re-baselining and managing troubled contracts to completion, associated litigation strategy, recovery advice and management.
External Strategic Advisor/Consultant – Project Director
- Structform (2019 to date) – retained for contractual/commercial support for the delayed Crosslinx Yonge Street Subway Station (PPP).
- Ozz Electric (2019 to date) – retained to assist in preparation of claims and to provide expert report for St Michaels (PPP) and Mount Sinai Hospitals in preparation for litigation $40million.
- Aecom (2018-2019) – retained by Norton Rose Fulbright to provide expert assistance in the resolution of principles and delay analysis, for a contribution sought by the TTC in relation to Yonge-University-Spadina Extension subway stations Hwy 407 and Sheppard West (Downsview), of claims submitted by contractors $150million.
- Stuart Olson (2018) – retained to provide claims assistance in support of subcontractor negotiations for University of Windsor Armouries $10million.
- Project Director TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) Vaughan Subway Station (2012 – 2018) – retained as external consultant to Carillon Construction Inc by Norton Rose Fulbright to supervise and manage construction, associated claims and litigation strategy on the terminal station of the Yonge-University-Spadina Extension in the face of schedule and cost doubling in time to 6 years and amount to over $300 million. Coordinated and directed technical and legal experts for preparation of legal action, led Dispute Resolution Boards matters and negotiations with TTC.
- Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route (PPP) Interim Director (2017 – 2018) – retained by Joint Venture Board for one year, supervised total project finance and operational restructure process of 58 km highway construction project featuring 12 million cubic metres of earthworks and 75 structures, developed strategy to limit existing cost overruns, and mitigate past overruns through legal claims, with a total project cost of in excess of £1.2 billion.
- Ministry of Transportation of Ontario Highway Construction Overruns (2011 – 2013) – provided expert technical advice and formulated legal strategy in conjunction with external counsel for linked series of mediations and actions pertaining to cost overruns on highway construction projects in 2008-2011 with a total claim value of approximately $80 million.
- Edinburgh Light Rail (Tramway) Utilities Relocation (2007-2010) – as non-executive director of Systech International for business development, led the preparation of claims for Carillion Plc’s Edinburgh LRT utilities relocation project over 20 km of tram lines, lasting 18 months and with a project value of approximately £100 million. Led detailed negotiations of the final account to an agreed settlement through mediation.
- British Rail – East London Spur Line (2009) – as independent consultant provided commercial and contractual analysis to joint venture design builder of 20 km rail extension and stations for purposes of establishing and implementing design change process.
- Scottish Water Solutions Authority (2007 – 2008) – provided contractual and commercial advice and negotiated on behalf of local water utility in construction delivery disputes with general contractors, including delay and electrical and mechanical design changes.
- Bovis Lend Lease (2007 – 2008) – provided commercial advice and negotiation on behalf of property owner on a variety of property damage and business interruption insurance claims.
- Carillion plc (2007 – 2008) – retained to led the final negotiations of claims and construction for the completion of Nottingham Express LRT (PPP), including executing a deed of settlement on behalf of Carilion, a light rail transit project valued at $200m.
Commercial Director, Carillion plc, Roads division (2002-2007)
- Commercial lead for highway construction division generating £300m in annual revenues.
- Member of the executive team responsible for oversight and direction of business development, construction, tendering, estimating, cost control, health and safety, human resources and risk management.
- Expertise in troubleshooting and leading cross-functional specialist teams to combining technical solutions and commercial strategies to achieve optimize cost recoveries, claim resolution and project completion. Representative projects in transit and healthcare include:
- Nottingham Express LRT (PPP) – completion of project to final account through arbitration with queen’s counsel and negotiations with client, including resolution of environmental noise reduction challenges requiring amongst others the introduction of novel tramway crossover construction techniques to obtain completion.
- South Tees Newcastle Acute Care Facility (PPP) – completion of project to final account thorough arbitration with queen’s counsel and negotiations with client, including resolution of mechanical and electrical issues to obtain completion.
Carillion Construction/Miller Civil Engineering – Infrastructure Projects – Senior Manager (1993 – 2001)
- Co-project director and technical earthworks claims for major highway projects including:
- M65 – 18 km highway construction project with rock blasting and geotechnical specification challenges was this achieved on time, on budget, with claims recovery of $100m.
- M74 – 12 km highway construction project featuring embankment design changes and changes in geotechnical ground conditions.
- Responsible for completion of construction of waste water treatment plant at St Andrew’s (Scotland) and conclusion of various water treatment projects, including final accounts, across England.
- Fellow of Institution of Civil Engineers
- Fellow of Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors
- Lectured to the Institution of Civil Engineers and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Arbiters) Scottish Branch
- HNC Civil Engineering: Napier University, Edinburgh, UK, 1974